Wednesday 12 February 2014

Fiction vs Non-Fiction

They say that I have come to an age where I should devour more non-fiction rather than loosing myself in my favourite fiction paperbacks. I said no. I mean, I do read non-fiction occasionally. Self-help, motivation books. I do purchase them from time to time.

But, I am a strong believer that the world that we live in is a huge non-fiction book. Life is non-fiction. Decisions are non-fiction. No self-help or motivational books can help you learn what you experience in real life. Of course, these books are written by experts. I have no doubt, through their sharing, we can learn a thing or two. But, isn't this our life? Don't you think that we should live life the way we deem fit?

Fiction is, as it is, fiction. Its not real. But, at times, it provides solace. It provides an escape from life. In fiction, normally, everyone has a happy ending. The plots are just so mesmerizing that you can't help but wish that those things happen in real life. Well, some of us do live in a fairy tale. But, don't we all want that smashing job, wear designer labels and have that Ivy League degree?

Often at times, I escape to Narnia, Wonderland. The realm of unrealness. Aslan is a metaphor of courage and wisdom. Alice learns that dreams, too, can come true. Oscar Wilde's Dorian Gray taught me that all of us have this "evil" side in us. There are many hidden messages in fiction that we just fail to see. Especially in children's books.

So, what's your pick: fiction or non-fiction?

"We have nothing, but believe - Repicheep, Prince Caspian"


No comments:

Post a Comment