Thursday 13 February 2014

More than just a movie.

We watch movies often. The smell of the caramel from the concession, hotdogs steaming in their buns, bundled up in shawls and sweaters, couples holding each other tight. But, is just a movie, a movie?

I have watched countless movies. When I was doing my diploma, I've dated a guy where we watched movies at least 4 times a week. That means in a year, I have watched more than 200 in a year. I was with him for 2 years. Over 400 movies watched. Some that are so good, we watched multiple times. Then it was with an aviation student. Again, a movie every time we meet. I was with him for almost a year. Almost 40 movies. Then with the recent ex. Not a movie person. Cumulatively, I've only watched less than 20 movies with him through out our 5-year relationship. So on, so forth.

So, is a movie, just a movie?

No. It is not. I remember most of the movies I've watched, what happened on that day, what we had, the conversation we had. I know, it sucks remembering details like that when you are no longer with that person. Movies, to me, is a hobby. I love watching movies. Not necessary at the cinema. I enjoy them at home, too. That's why I've subscribed the movie package on cable.

Each movie is like a book. A story to tell and how we relate that story with our lives. I've watched Iron Man 3 alone and cried. I've watched many movies alone and still feeling pitiful to myself. I let that happen to me. I did not stop it. It was a pathetic sight. A girl watching an early show, alone. I did not even escape the bubble. It was, again, my fault. I always let my heart win when I know it is more sensible to let my brain wins at times like that.

Now, again, I am attached. This time I just decide to enjoy the moment. Gone were the expectations. Gone were the fears. I have left every emotional baggage at the doorstep when I stepped into this new relationship. It started again, with an easy text. Eye contact and awkward smiles. I remember the moment he first held my hand. But, that's not it. It is how he makes me feel I can be me again. He let me read. He smiles at my laughs or funny expressions. He watches me eat. He let me ran around. He let me be a kid again. He lets me be free.


This stub, for example. A movie that we wanted to see badly. Bought early but still we almost missed it. We ran to the cinema from the lot. We race through the mall, ignoring stares. Panting, I almost tripped in the dark hall. The movie? It was so-so. The company and experience I had, PRICELESS.

To me, a movie is not just a movie. It always has a story to tell.

No comments:

Post a Comment