Wednesday 5 February 2014

The story of David and Goliath

I believe many have heard this story. The story of the giant, Goliath and the small yet smart David.

David was a fighter, a smart one while Goliath is the huge giant. This story to me can be applied to real life. How bullies (usually big ones or they tend to be in groups) treat their peers and how these people who are being pushed around (usually the ones who looks week or newbies) respond to the bullies.


Quoting an article I've read in MyStarJob:

"Average is a choice. And average leads giants to crumble. According to Malcolm Gladwell, the giant Goliath was fearsome not because he was a great fighter but simply because of his size. In fact, Gladwell goes on to claim that Goliath may have been partially blind. He was an average fighter who got away with victory because he was a giant. Along comes a “David”, who is a better fighter and also changes the rules of fighting by using a sling instead of a sword. An average Goliath stood no chance against a great fighter who is smart (yet small)."

I know what is it like to be bullied and what is like to bully people who have less than me. As I grew, I understand that bullying is just a coward's way in making people to take them seriously. Or it is just a way of saying, "You are better than me and that I see you as a threat. So, I must push you down before you throw me down". I have met mediocre leaders who hid behind their groups, who bullies their own people, who are unjust when it comes to predicaments. 


A leader is not born but nurtured. An average person can be cultivated into a great leader after he went through challenges, obstacles and how he rise to the occasion and how he handle failures. Those that learnt from those challenges can be great leaders. 


     "Average people are governed by fear, but convince themselves it’s prudence.

Average finds comfort in standing for absolutely nothing in order to evade any possible attack.
Average is scared to death of remarkable misfits, like you and I.
Average never leads. And most importantly, average is just average and nobody will ever remember it.”

No comments:

Post a Comment